Social apps and the rise of digital and mobile marketing will be the end of email marketing. At least that’s what the experts have been telling us for some time now. One look at email marketing’s ROI and it is easy to see that the experts are wrong.
Research shows that email marketing delivers a return of almost $45 for every dollar spent. That’s the highest ROI of any other digital marketing tactic. But before we bash the so-called “experts,” it is important to realize that email marketing has surprised almost everyone with its ability to adapt to the digital marketplace.
So how is email marketing managing to stay so relevant?
- It is taking advantage of user engagement on other channels. The best email marketers are able to mine an individual’s data and use that to personalize their email marketing efforts.
- It is adaptable. The best email marketers monitor the success of each email campaign to find out what did and didn’t work. Who unsubscribed? Who responded to a call to action? Do customers respond to animation? Do they prefer video testimonials? The lessons learned are then used to shape the next email marketing blast and make it more effective.
- It is personalized. At the end of the day, it’s all about the customer. Specifically, the one reading the email. Email marketing, unlike many other social media and digital marketing techniques, allows you to speak to a single customer. Many social media sites blast information to all who will listen but email marketing can be tailored to one customer at a time.
- It is inexpensive. Small businesses on a tight budget can reach as many customers as they want without spending an outrageous amount of money.
- It is mobile. Everyone knows that mobile is where it is at today. In fact, with four out of five consumers using their mobile devices to shop, going mobile is essential to the success of your business. Email is easily adaptable to mobile devices so it allows you to reach customers and generate sales leads without investing a great deal of money on new technology or software.
Email marketing may not seem as flashy as some of the latest apps and other digital marketing techniques. It is, however, a tried-and-true method of marketing that continues to do a fantastic job of reaching customers.