Adjusting to Google’s New Rules: Why Your Business Might Not Be #1 Anymore
For many of us business owners, seeing our business pop up as the first result on a key Google search is a moment of pride and a sign that our hard work is paying off. However, if you’ve recently noticed your business slipping down the ranks, you’re not alone. It’s not because you’re doing something wrong; Google’s just changing the way it displays certain kinds of search results.
So, What Exactly is Changing?
Google constantly tweaks its algorithms and the way it presents information to users. One of the latest adjustments focused on “HowTo” and “FAQ” content. If you ever provided step-by-step guides or frequently asked questions on your website, Google used to give it a special, prominent display in search results. For a short period of time it was an easy hack for getting traffic. Now, they’ve decided to limit the number of these “enhanced” displays. As a result, your business might not stand out as much as it used to.
Why Did Google Make This Change?
Google’s aim has always been to provide users with the most relevant and high-quality information. When many sites started adding FAQ and HowTo sections to get that prime position, it crowded the top of the search page. To ensure variety and the best user experience, Google decided to limit these special displays.
How Can We Navigate These Changes?
- Quality Over Quantity: Ensure that the content on your website is of the highest quality. Google prioritizes helpful, original, and well-written content.
- Diversify Our Content: Don’t put all your eggs in one basket. Expand beyond just FAQs and HowTo’s. Create engaging blog posts, videos, or infographics relevant to your business.
- Engage with Customers: Encourage reviews, and interact with your customers online. Positive reviews can boost our business’s credibility and visibility. (We have a service that will help you get more reviews. Ask about it if you need help with reviews.)
- Use Google My Business Profile FAQ: Google My Business offers an FAQ section. Populate it with relevant questions and answers related to your business. It not only helps in engaging potential clients but also helps maintain visibility. Google seems to keep these FAQs prioritized in results.
- Stay Updated: Even if you’re not an SEO expert, it’s helpful to keep a tab on major changes that might affect your online visibility. Subscribe to a simple, easy-to-understand digital marketing newsletter tailored for small businesses.
Digital marketing changes all the time. While changes might feel unsettling, they also present new opportunities. By understanding these shifts and adapting our strategy, we can ensure our businesses remain front and center in potential customers’ searches.
Do you need help boosting your online visibility and web traffic? Contact one of our marketing experts today to learn how we can help you navigate the world of digital marketing and achieve outstanding results.
Marketing Starts With a List
The first step to your marketing plan is getting a quality list of prospects. Not only can we provide you with a list, we offer multiple ways to reach them to maximize your investment.