Help Customers Avoid the Holiday-Shopping Blues. The holidays are billed as the most wonderful time of the year. However, many last-minute holiday shoppers may beg to differ.
If you own a business and are looking to attract shoppers short on time and gift ideas, we’ve got some simple hints to allow you to do just that. Here are some ideas on how to attract harried shoppers and help everyone get back into the holiday spirit:
1. Keep it simple. The one thing last-minute shoppers really want is more time. If you own a brick and mortar store, display gifts at the front of the store and separate them according to recipient. For example, you could have a display of gifts for teachers, gifts for kids, gifts for the person who has everything. The idea is to get people in and out as quickly as possible. If you have a website, its homepage should be set up in a similar fashion.
2. Maximize mobile. Where do most shoppers turn for ideas on what to buy? Their smartphones. Make sure your website is mobile-friendly and uses keywords that are popular with Google right now, including “cool gifts” and “best gifts.” It also is important that your listing on local search directories has your holiday shopping hours listed.
3. Remember that communication is key. Since shoppers are on their smartphones a lot this time of year, sending emails and texts with special coupons or one-day sales promotions are a great way to get customers in the door.
4. Consider social media giveaways. Contests always boost social media engagement, especially this time of year. Ask followers to post their favorite holiday cookie recipe or a picture of their ugliest holiday sweater. At a certain time each day pick a winner and award that winner a coupon or free gift card from your store.
5. Don’t forget the gift cards. Fifty percent of shoppers say they will buy gift cards for presents. Sweeten the pot by having cute packaging for those gift cards or offer a discount when multiple gift cards are purchased.
The holidays should be a time to concentrate on family and friends, not to worry about getting everything crossed off a massive to-do list. When you make the season more pleasant for stressed out, last-minute shoppers, chances are these same shoppers will become loyal customers all year round!